Tuesday, October 4, 2011

history

For those of you who didn't follow me on youtube...here's my brief history

My eating disorder began at 11, it got way worse at 17 and continued to get worse each year, month, day...
I went to residential treatment for the first time Dec 26 2007, to RainRock (affiliate of monte nido, owner: carolyn costin), in eugene, oregon for 3 months. I was overweight at admission and was diagnosed ed-nos, and was very sick.
afterwards, I relapsed really badly while I did an IOP/PHP in the bay area (california), was hospitalized 3 times, and then went to a great PHP in sacramento. (sedop.org)
After some brief period of recovery and outpatient, i relapsed again, worse than ever. Diagnosed with anorexia-purging type, I decided to go to a holistic treatment center in Arizona. It didn't work out for me, and I left AMA after 2.5 weeks.
I fell further and further into my illness and depression
In April 2009, I was lucky enough to get into Monte Nido Vista (carolyn costins program).
After 45 days residential, 2 months in the transision house and PHP, then 2 months IOP, I was able to stay behavior free!  

My e.d. "clean" date is April 22. I got sober from alcohol sept 9.
I slowly stepped down in my outpatient care, starting with 3 therapy session/week and slowly making my way down to once per week,  And going to lots of groups.  I am so happy to be free from the eating disorder for 2.5 years now! And over 2 years sober. I also have not self-injured in a very long time!


None of this has been easy, it's been a struggle, but it IS possible to recover

I was sick for 11 years of my life, I was sick, and dying, and now I'm not. even in recovery, I had a heart attack and heart surgery, due to permanent damage from the ed. But even those "lasting complications" have largely resolved themselves :)
I hope to share my story, to help someone, anyone. 

5 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad to see you posting again. You've come SO far!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,

    I know we haven't really talked, but I find you and your journey to be very inspirational. Your daughter is lucky.

    Keep fighting. I am so happy for you!

    -Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, can I ask you a question about heart rates & stuff? Do you have an email address by any chance? Hope this isn't too intrusive. Or you could just email me at js08kh@leeds.ac.uk. I did message you on youtube but don't think you check your account anymore. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I discovered you ten minutes ago. I watched your video on youtube: "Major Depressive Episode". I cried. I am going through the depression you have gone through. I was inpatient, outpatient, and pretty much every type of patient out there. It's getting better, but now I can feel it getting worse.

    ReplyDelete