Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The apologizers

*Blogging has taken a backseat to life, being a mom, and my art that has suddenly taken off! Will blog when I can!!

There are certainly types of people that are common in the eating disorder world...they're actually everywhere, but there is a more dense population of them in the ed community. On my mind today, is the "Apologizer".
I have a million friends either in treatment, in recovery, in & out of treatment, somewhere on the spectrum; I have girls I officially mentor, girls I unofficially mentor, girls I like to support or just check in with every once in a while & see how they're doing with everything...besides them being my friends, I often refer to them as "my girls" or my "chiquitas".
So, I have a couple "chiquitas" I've been talking to lately who are HUGE apologizers. There was one conversation that went a little like this:
"Hi, sorry to bother you Lauren.."
"Don't be sorry, you can text me anytime"
"okay, sorry."
"Why are you sorry, I just said don't be sorry! Whats going on?"
"k, sorry"

Maybe it's natural for them, maybe it's a filler...not sure of what else to say? Maybe in other relationships there IS a need for constant apologies? I'm not sure of the reasons behind it, but it's definitely interesting!

3 comments:

  1. ha I'm totally guilty of being one of "THOSE" people.

    Hope you're well! Glad to hear your art is taking off. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was confronted at one point by someone about how I am always apologizing. I think it has to do with low self-esteem, believing they're a nuisance, and the desire to not create any "waves." I've thought about this before too, and its most definitely interesting to contemplate on...I'll be thinking some more today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you Lauren... have known you since the old YT days :)

    ReplyDelete